Wazzup Pilipinas?!
Stepping into the realm of intense dramatic acting is a daunting leap for any performer, but Ashley Lopez is tackling it head on. The actress recently wrapped up her time at The Masters Series: FDCP Acting Workshop for Filipino Talents 2026, an intensive ten-day program organized by the Film Development Council of the Philippines.
FDCP organized the workshop to refine the acting skills of both theater and screen performers, diving into character development, vocal control, and interpreting a director’s creative intent.
For Lopez, who had been searching for professional training since last year, her selection into the program arrived at a crucial moment in her career, offering the creative breakthrough she was looking for.
“I am incredibly thankful to the FDCP for giving me a chance, even though I come from VMX,” Lopez noted, looking back at her background. “I learned so much from Day 1 to Day 10. Since this was my very first formal workshop, I can genuinely say I’ve seen my own improvement.”
Stepping into the room initially triggered a bout of stage fright, especially with several theater actors in the mix. However, that initial nervousness quickly gave way to a strong sense of community. Lopez described her fellow workshop participants as “genuinely kind people” who transformed the shared artistic space into something meaningful.
The program gave Lopez the opportunity to learn directly from veteran directors Laurice Guillen, Jose Javier “Direk Joey” Reyes, and Joel Lamangan, cinematographer Lee Briones, and acting coach Ana Guillen Feleo. Each mentor contributed a distinct layer to her evolving skill set.
Working with Direk Laurice and Ms. Feleo, Lopez focused heavily on emotional regulation. “They taught me how to manage my emotions,” she revealed. “They likened my initial approach to diving into a pool so deep that I struggled to resurface. They helped me find that balance.”
Direk Joey provided a mix of strict corrections and vital affirmation. He pointed out the clear evolution in her creative choices during the sessions compared to her prior film roles, offering a memorable vote of confidence, “You deserve better, you deserve a bigger role.”
Meanwhile, Direk Joel explained intricate acting methodologies, completely reshaping how she approaches the camera. Though Lopez had relied on similar creative instincts in the past, the training gave her a clear understanding of the “why” and “how” behind the onscreen techniques.
Lopez also highlighted the vital role Ms. Briones played, thanking her “for always guiding us and helping us see what still needed to be done and improved in every scene.”
Equipped with new technical skills, a richer approach to character analysis, and a newfound sense of self-assurance, Lopez looks at the experience as a cornerstone for her artistic future.
Beyond the valuable networking, the logistical backing from the FDCP team, and the bonds built with peers, the workshop has completely changed her perspective on career longevity.
“I will carry everything I’ve learned with me,” Lopez shared. “The brilliance of these three directors gave me lessons that I will undoubtedly use for the rest of my life in this industry.”




Ross is known as the Pambansang Blogger ng Pilipinas - An Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Professional by profession and a Social Media Evangelist by heart.
Post a Comment